Monday, May 12, 2008

home sweet home

There is nothing like having a new friend come over to your house for the first time to make you recognize all the flaws and imperfections of your home. You know the stuff you want to fix but never seem to get to and pretty soon learn to ignore. Stuff like the broken bookshelf and blinds, the messy backyard, the dirty couches and carpets, the blank walls with no pictures, the pictures still not rehung after painting, old TV sitting in the corner etc., etc., etc.


I generally think of myself as a good housekeeper. The surfaces stay clean, floors picked up, dishes done. This is why I didn't really think anything of it when I invited this family over for a playdate. I was surprised by how embarrassed I felt. Is this silly? Hopefully, she didn't judge me too harshly with this first impression of my home. Hopefully, I will get motivated to fix these small flaws so that my home can match the vision in my head.

7 comments:

Mandi said...

Yes its silly - but I completely understand where you are coming from. If I put all my "things that need fixing" onto my blog it would crash the system - dont worry too much, they are there for the company and friendship not the things that you see that no one else probably even notices!!

Denise said...

That is so true! When I know the bug spray guy is coming, I suddenly notice all the piles of stuff he'll have to spray around. When we have playgroup here, I breathe a sigh of relief when the moms don't come past the front door, because I still haven't done anything about the broken curtain rod in the family room.

Bless you for your broken blinds. If a motivated, organized woman like you still has to deal with this stuff, I feel a little better!

SladeMomma said...

When the kids grow up and leave things don't get broken as often or trashed as much (except in man spaces). Look forward to the day.

Tamsen said...

I totally relate to this blog--and am relieved to know I'm not alone! I spend so much time on the basics each day (dishes, floor, you know the drill) that I rarely get around to bigger projects. I often remind myself that If I'm not noticing the imperfections in others (or their homes), then hopefully they aren't noticing mine. I must admit that sometimes I host a family dinner or a play group to actually force myself to tackle some of the clutter...

Keri said...

Hilarious. Ditto for what Tamsen had to say!

Steph said...

I do this whenever my mother in law is about to visit.

Halliday's said...

Lindsay, would you like to come to my house for the day? It appears you can keep it more organized than I. I could seriously use some help! Piles upon piles, I tell you. It's a never ending struggle... You keep a neat house! I think only you notice those other things. I for one think your home is beautiful! : )