Friday, May 1, 2009

hey, mama, welcome to your sixties

When Colin and Amy's wedding was scheduled a few days before Mom's 60th birthday, my sisters and I began making plans for a party. We started with grand ambitions--many attendees, catered meal, beautiful decorations--but as things often do, it didn't turn out that way. In the end, it was a more casual affair held at my house with just four of her children, one sister, and two nieces (plus all their children). Still, the company was great, the food tasted delicious and the guest of honor felt honored.

A party honoring Mom must include a program. Dana and Merrit played a two-hand piano duet with "two hand tied behind their back".


I (with a LOT of help from Dana) put together a slideshow of pictures from her life. (A note about the slideshows: the first song in Part 2 was written and sung by my dad. The audio in the third part has been disabled due to copyright. The first part was Bushel and a Peck and the second was Hey, Mama, Welcome to Your Sixties)







To finish, Keri put together a quiz about Mom and new words to Happiness Is... which we all sang.
Then it was time for cake. I made a cake which celebrated my mom's love for color. It turned out perfectly. Her expression when she wondered aloud what kind of cake it was and then cut into it was just awesome. Unfortunately I was playing with my camera at the time and missed it.


Mom, I hope you really did and do feel loved. You are one truly remarkable woman and I am so glad I'm your daughter.

5 comments:

Letti said...

Happy birthday to your sweet. Mom I love all the tributs and that cake well it rocks!

Ralina said...

That cake turned out awesome, how did you get it to be all those colors? Happy Birthday to your Mom!

Tamsen said...

So fun to see those slide shows! I couldn't believe how many of those pics of your mom looked just like Keri to me. I'm glad you had such a great week with your fam. It was nice to visit with you on the phone...I'll be in touch.

SladeMomma said...

Thanks for posting the videos. Now I can "borrow" them for my blog. But the third one needs some music, anything. Somehow it isn't the same watching a slide show with silence. Thank you, thank you, thank you again for the party, the gift, the cake, the decorations, the sweet thoughts, and all the love. I have GREAT kids!!!

Jessica Waters said...

Happy birthday to your mom! What a fun week you guys all had. I love family get togethers. How did you do that cake?? Eliza turns 3 soon and she would love a cake like that!