For FHE, we watched more Christmas movies--A Charlie Brown Christmas, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
On Tuesday, we made fudge. I used this recipe (doubled) but added in 6 Tbsp. of butter because I didn't read it very carefully. It turned out great still. I mean, really, how can you go wrong with butter!





Dave stayed home from work Wednesday morning so I could take Emma and Slade to see the Nutcracker at Thanksgiving Point.
Someone needs to teach me the art of a more attractive self-portrait...hello, double chins!Slade did reasonably well for an active six year old at a long (boring) ballet. In the second half he was asking to go home but stayed laying in my lap. The second half, which is usually better, was rather boring. They added a couple of numbers with modern music. So not Tchaikovsky. What is up with that? Still, I'm glad we went and glad Slade had to opportunity to practice being a good audience member.

Today we went shopping!
As a child, the annual family Christmas trip was a big deal. We got to take the day off of school and head to the mall. We got $5 per person and had to team up with other siblings for larger gifts. At the end of the shopping, we got to got out to eat for lunch. This was huge since we never got to eat out. On the other hand, our family shopping trip seems to be just any ordinary day. Taking the day off school doesn't have the same impact. Nor does eating out since they get to eat out often enough. We decided to take them to a sit down restaurant since we don't do that often.
Tonight, we watched A Christmas Story, one movie that will NOT be remaining on next year's list.

9 comments:
What was the restaurant?
Emma was excited about the shopping, so it was great for at least one!
Way to make memories, Lindsay!
I saw a great advent calendar in a recent Pottery Barn Kids catalog (but I'm unable to find it online). It is a green felt tree 3 or 4 ft tall with 24 different colored pockets sewn on it. You fill the pockets yearly with activities, treats, etc. They were asking $79, but you could totally make it for under $10.
Sounds like so much fun. You have great ideas, and your kids will have wonderful memories!
Just curious: Why no Christmas Story next year???
We went to Applebees. Emma chose. She was excited about getting their chicken fingers only to be disappointed that they weren't what she was expecting.
We won't be watching A Christmas Story again because of the swearing. Maybe that is prudish of me but I really didn't like it. It doesn't usually bother me too much but in this one it did.
And as you establish your traditions and try to make good family memories, the ones that stick will likely not be what you expected, i.e. the Christmas morning banana. Furthermore, what worked once may not work again. No way to go shopping on $5 each nowadays. But keep making the noble effort. They will remember something!
ooohh I have ideas for you. I got tired of the cheesing advent calendars at stores adn decided to make one. There is a flicker group dedicated to advent calendar creations. Such cute and copy-able ideas. If you can't find it let me know. But I just googled creative advent calendars.
I'm glad you are so organized. You look great! I miss you. I'll call soon. Looks like your family is having so much fun!
Sounds like a fun day with the family! Love the traditions!
I totally remember A Christmas Story as a classic from childhood, until I watched it again in college. If that is the one where the kid gets shot in the eye by the bebe gun, it was complete trash. I agree. Not a repeat.
Post a Comment