Sunday, July 6, 2008

fourth of july weekend

I started out in a very grumpy mood on the 4th. Dave went golfing with his dad and brothers and I just was feeling like there was no fun and celebration to be had for me and the kids. We had no plans and I hate that. We went over to Dave's sister's house to let the cousins play for awhile. Poor Katie had to put up with my grumpiness. Fortunately things did get better. Dave came back (that always makes things better) and Katie made plans for everyone. She invited us all over to Grandma's house.

We barbequed. And jumped on the tramp. And played card games. And enjoyed the nice summer evening.


Then we headed back to Katie's to watch the Pleasant Grove fireworks and set off some of our own. I learned that I have absolutely no clue how to take night shots so I didn't get any good pictures. There is always something to learn! The kids had a lot of fun and no one melted down despite the late hour. We finally made it home at 11:00.


On Saturday, we headed out to Payson Lakes for a day of canoing and swimming in the lake. I think everyone enjoyed the day. Even me. I found a nice spot of shade and sat back and "relaxed". The one huge downside was all the cotton blowing around from the trees. Made my nose itchy and runny and I'm still sneezing.


After church today, we headed back over to Katie's for the monthly get together. We had lots of yummy dessert and just sat around talking. The kids all even got along well for the most part. Now if Sawyer were old enough to entertain himself, Dave and I could have sat down and acted lazy the whole evening. Unfortunately he is still rather demanding.

What I learned:
--make plans early
--get a small camera or a different lens so I am actually in some pictures
--take a family picture
--buy lots of fireworks

5 comments:

SladeMomma said...

Yeah, I note the third thing you learned, i.e. take a family picture. PLEASE take that family picture. I STILL waiting. You already PROMISED. But I love you anyway.

BTW, my 4th was incredible! Dad and I were playing cards and then were going to take a walk for ice cream. It was a lovely night. Until a friend dropped in unannounced ("Oh, am I interrupting anything?") and stayed for 2-1/2 hours just hanging out. Dad went to bed and, finally, so did I. Wahoo, happy 4th of July...

Maria said...

As always, your pics are gorgeous. Looks like you all had a good time (in the end!)

holly said...

Glad you had a nice 4th. It sounds very fun to me. Your pictures are so incredible. I love them. I agree, there is always sO MUCH to LEARN!!

Unknown said...

your photos are so fantastic! i can't wait to see what you learn about night photography.

yes - you need to be in more pictures!!

Steph said...

For having no plans at first, it looks like everyone had fun after all. I'm glad.