Saturday, May 5, 2007

weapons of mass destruction

About a week or two ago, Slade was possessed with some kind of desire for destruction. He took a steak knife and stabbed several holes in our family room sectional. All on one cushion, luckily. I never got him to actually confess but Nathan, who usually is the one leaving mayhem in his wake, kept telling me that "Fwade did it."

Today I walked into the living room to find Slade sitting on the couch with a steak knife in hand. My quick glance did not reveal any damage so I just gave the standard lecture about knives being dangerous, took it and left. Of course, tonight as I sat on the couch trying to compose myself from some other adventure in parenthood, I felt holes.

WHY?????? Tell me its not just my children! Perhaps it is just my offspring so would the rest of you out there with well-behaved, non-destructive children please let me know how you do it. I could use some help. And a new couch. Or two.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lindsay! How horrible! I wish I knew what to do about it. My knives are just always up high and I don't think Max has discovered them...yet. I know he will eventually. But I'm not going to mention this to him as he loved playing with Slade and would think this is cool. Boys! Here's hoping he'll stop, AND that there's a sale at RC Willey! :)

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention that our thing is with scissors. Max was trying to cut the dog's hair a few days ago. Now the scissors are up high...

Brooke said...

Oh Lindsay, I am sooo sorry. What a nightmare. I'm pretty sure that I would totally rage at my children if they did this. Maybe I've really terrified my kids so they would fear for their lives if they did this. What a nightmare. I wish I had an extra couch for you. You deserve it. Maybe you should garner his wages until he pays for a new one, like when he's 25!

Malauna said...

I don't know why you are so blessed to have such destructive children. Roderic hasn't gone that far yet. He just destroys the train tracks or block towers or blanket forts that we have taken many minutes to construct.

Best of Photo said...

Now THAT was not a pleasant experience. Especially the 2nd time. But what are you going to do, they gotta learn. You told him it was not an acceptable activity. He'll understand it sooner or later and probably tell you how sorry he is.

But you did a nice job describing the situation. You oughta be in print.