Today was one of those days. The lovely spring weather we've been enjoying turned into the other kind of spring weather--cold and rainy. I actually like rainy days. They're perfect for snuggling up inside with a good book. However, my children do not like to snuggle up with me so rainy days can be awful. I needed to reclaim my house after the last few days of company, so I indulged in a special treat for the kids--TV in the morning.
Things seemed to go steadily downhill after that. Lots of crying and fighting. Whining from Emma about having to do schoolwork. Chocolate milk all over the kitchen, compliments of Nathan. Dave came home for lunch but instead of eating spent the lunch hour dialed-in to work. He is stressed. I taught a class of Kids Company today. Only 4 out of 7 girls showed up and Sawyer suddenly decided that a babysitter would just not do and screamed inconsolably. I finally had to get him and just teach while holding him.
Anyhow, I have a point. It was one of those days when you just have to whip up a batch of the best chocolate chip cookies ever. Comfort food. Fat and sugar and lots of it. I thought I would share my favorite recipe for when you have such a day.
Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies (via www.allrecipes.com)
2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 package vanilla pudding
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Chocolate chips
Whisk flour and baking soda together in separate bowl. Set aside. Cream butter and sugars (I like to cream for a minute or two, until it gets lighter in color). Add pudding. Add eggs and vanilla, then flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop rounded tablespoonfuls on stone. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Makes about 3 dozen.
I cook these on a baking stone which may add to their yummy goodness. The first batch goes in for about 10 minutes and the second for 8 since the stone is heated. Store them in an air-tight container and they are even better the next day. This recipe is also fun for variations. I have baked and enjoyed chocolate pudding with chocolate chips and chocolate pudding with mint chips. Yum-o! When I make these with chocolate pudding, I add about a third of a cup of cocoa in with the flour to boost the chocolate taste.
The cookies must have helped too because the afternoon did get better. The rain stopped and so Emma and Slade got to play with friends. Nathan fell asleep. Tonight Dave "sacrificed" to stay home and play video games with the boys so Emma and I could go watch a concert. And we all get to sleep in our own beds tonight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
As one who bakes a lot of cookies, I thank you for the yummy-sounding recipe. I'll try them soon! We've had some days like this lately, too. Glad things turned out ok!
Post a Comment