We were able to make it to and from Colorado without any issues on the Wyoming freeways. We left on Tuesday afternoon before "the blizzard of 2010" was supposed to hit in Utah. Keri and Michael who came the next day were not so lucky with road conditions. We were thankful that they made it and that we didn't have drive in such precarious weather.
On Wednesday, Emma, Mom and Amy made pies and got the turkey ready. Emma was in heaven with so much food prep to do. She is a total Food Network junkie and loves to help in the kitchen. Mom said it was fun having her oldest granddaughter be old enough to want to help.

I went to Target to get stuff to make the tables pretty. It may not matter to anyone else but me but it certainly makes me happy. I purchased 28 green chargers and pretty paper plates to go on them. Then I made little Mayflower boats out of brown felt (Pottery Barn inspired).

We finished cooking on Thursday while the men plus Emma went and played soccer at the church. Then it was time for feasting! And feast we did. It was all totally delicious. I could have stopped with the appetizers and been completely happy. We had a traditional dinner complete with turkey and ham, potatoes, vegetables, Jell-O salad and rolls. We put three long tables into the family room and managed to fit all 26 people into one room. Barely. It was cozy but it worked. Dana and Merrit even joined in the fun via life-sized photographs hanging on the wall.



On Friday, I got to work helping Mom with the pre-move-and-downsize clean out. I cleared the kitchen and sent lots of stuff to Goodwill and lots of other stuff into boxes to take home with me, Keri, Colin and Jeremy. I was thrilled to come home with lots of Mom's entertaining dishes like platters and cake stands. Time to throw a party! Later that evening, we worked on her music. I got lots and lots of Broadway books to add to my collection. Time for a Sunday sing-along!
We left at 6:00 a.m. on Saturday to head home. We wanted to be back in time to get ready for Sunday and to watch the BYU v. Utah game. We listened to the first quarter on the radio and watched the rest on TV at home. What a disappointing way to end a great weekend. Oh well. We spent the rest of Saturday trying to recover from our vacation and get the house in order. I usually bust out the Christmas decorations the day after Thanksgiving, but I am not ready for that at all this year. Hopefully, I can get my house in order and decorate this week.
See more pictures and read Mom's take on the weekend here:
http://www.slademomma.net/2010/11/no-230-poof-there-goes/

No comments:
Post a Comment