
For this week's assignment go here.
While I did go through all the emotional schtuff that most experience at school (making friends, fitting in), I look back rather fondly at my school years. I am a geek. I love learning. I love books, writing, tests even. I succeeded in school academically. Even now I miss learning in a classroom and think it would be the best thing to go back to college. Indeed, a geek.
I skipped kindergarten.
In first grade, I can remember wiping glue off my hands underneath my desk and being reprimanded by the teacher. And the most beautiful girl in my class had long, blonde hair and really cute clothes. Her name was Jody.We moved to CO in second grade. My only memory of second grade is peeing my pants because I was scared to ask the teacher if I could go when I obviously needed to because she had said there would be no bathroom breaks.
I got the part of Dorothy in our school's production of the Wizard of Oz in third grade. I was teased endlessly about being the teacher's pet because I had already sung a solo in the Christmas production. When I sang Somewhere Over the Rainbow the pianist forgot that he was supposed to play a lower note on ".....just beyond the rain". He instead played the high note and so I vocally slid my way up the scale to follow. I was so embarrassed.
I had Mrs. White in fourth grade. I loved her. She hated snow. She came to see me perform with Our Gang Singers at the Safari Club.
I watched the Challenger Explosion on TV in Mr. Kaslau's class in fifth grade.
I got my first C in sixth grade because I chose not to complete a major assignment, just because I didn't want to. I also read Gone with the Wind for the first time.
I was bored out of my mind in the beginning orchestra in seventh grade since I had been playing cello for two years already. I really loved Mr. McNeal though. He made everything fun.
I took Humanities in eighth grade and it is still one of my favorite classes ever. We mocked Mrs. Guest behind her back but she was a truly fabulous teacher. Our final test for the English portion was to complete a sentence diagram of the preamble of the Constitution.
In ninth grade, I felt like I finally fit in (mostly) with the popular kids. I had the biggest crush on Jeff Woodmansee. I even asked him to a dance. Brave of me. My best friend was Jenny Rejeske who believed she was a reincarnated brontosaurus.So many memories of high school. Most of them good. I got my braces off in tenth grade. I had my first experience with a really gorgeous boy thinking I was cute. Ben Mishnik. He was so fine!
During my junior year, I dated Jaime Hancock (smoker, jerk and all around bad boy). What was I thinking!? Made some really great friends through choir/orchestra/theater who stuck with me through that relationship. Dated Chris Carlson the rest of the year. Vast improvement.
Senior year, I played the role of Little Red in Into the Woods. Such a fantastic experience. My mom made me go to senior prom with someone else (because he asked first and he was an answer to her prayer that some nice boy would ask me), only to find out Craig Michoski(!!!) was going to ask me the next day. Ended up dating Craig until I left for college. Craig's dad was my very favorite teacher of all. He called me short little Mormon person.After doing this assignment, I now know that most of my childhood pictures have not been scanned. Need to work on that. Thanks for taking this trip down memory lane with me.

8 comments:
It was a walk down memory lane for me as well, including a few tidbits of which I wasn't aware. I hadn't known that you'd ever chose not to do an assignment or ever received a C for anything. The additional memories of your childhood that I have revolve around you being a little go-getter and talented at everything you tried. You were used to being top dog and felt personally insulted if ever you came in second best, i.e. if you had to sit second chair cello in orchestra.
wow, you remember SO MUCH! i need to take the time to jot down some memories. and to scan some photos. and to make the scan photos upload...
Lindsay,
This has been so fun to read. I hated school and I don't talk much about it, but this was so fun to read about your experience. Cute photos! What a cute girl you were even back then! :)
Thanks for sharing a little bit of your life. I always find it so fascinating to see where people come from and what helps shape their lives.
Ooh, in that last picture you look like Jennifer Connelly. Pretty!
I liked school, too, for the most part. My college years were my favorite time.
Beautiful pictures Lindsay!
You were the quintessential 90's pin-up girl! Look at that to-die-for sweater vest over the denim button down. You practically were Demi Moore!
I love the details too. So many Polish or German sounding last names. Where did you live?
Demi Moore. Jennifer Connelly. Wow, you guys are nice. Too bad I'm not quite so cute anymore.
Lucy, I grew up in Ft. Collins, CO. Now that you mentioned it, there are quite a few Polish names in my memories. Interesting.
yep i think so too... you look like jennifer connelly...hey if you have it inside then polish it outside...i didn't mean to sound rough there...but i do think that there is the best of us somewhere in there...mine is buried, mind you...but i am trying to get it out and polish it...it has been hard since having kids...but then you see all these mums that have it all...and i say hey why not me...why, because i indulge in quite a bit of notty appetizers all the time...but hey i am working on it. By the way your family is beautiful.
Post a Comment