Sunday, August 22, 2010

song of the heart

Doctrine and Covenants 25:12
For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart;
yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me.

We had an interesting sacrament meeting today. Each of the 5 speakers were asked to choose a favorite hymn. They spoke about why they loved the hymn and then we sang each one. I'm still undecided if I really enjoyed the meeting or not. I'm leaning toward not. It isn't that I don't love the hymns, or music, or singing. I really do. I just don't like to sing hymn after hymn. That alone doesn't really help me feel the spirit. It just makes me tired. A sacrament meeting with two or three musical numbers and a couple of congregational hymns would have been entirely different. Know what I mean?

Anyhow, I was thinking about what I would have chosen as a favorite hymn. Tough choice. Since I don't have to choose just one for a talk, I thought I would share more.

How Firm a Foundation, Hymn 85
I love the 3rd verse. We learned it last year in Primary and as I taught the children these words, I told them how this verse is like a love note from the Lord.
Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.

I Need Thee Every Hour, Hymn 98
It seems we rarely sing this hymn. I love it though.

Master, the Tempest is Raging, Hymn 105
A rarely sung but powerful song. I especially like the third verse.
Master, the terror is over. The elements sweetly rest.
Earth's sun in the calm lake is mirrored, And heaven's within my breast.
Linger, O blessed Redeemer! Leave me alone no more,
And with joy I shall make the blest harbor And rest on the blissful shore.
The winds and the waves shall obey thy will: Peace, be still.
Whether the wrath of the storm-tossed sea
Or demons or men or whatever it be,
No water can swallow the ship where lies
The Master of ocean and earth and skies.
They all shall sweetly obey thy will: Peace be still;
They all shall sweetly obey thy will: Peace, peace, be still.

Come, Ye Disconsolate, Hymn 115
Come ye disconsolate, where'er ye languish;
Come to the mercy seat, fervently kneel.
Here bring your wounded hearts; here tell your anguish.
Earth has no sorrow that heavn' cannot heal.

There is Sunshine in My Soul Today, Hymn 227
There is music in my soul today, A carol to my King.
And Jesus listening can hear the songs I cannot sing.

I suppose if I had to pick just one, I would likely choose this one:
Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee, Hymn 141
Jesus, the very thought of thee
With sweetness fills my breast;
But sweeter far thy face to see
And in thy presence rest.

O hope of every contrite heart,
O joy of all the meek,
To those who fall, how kind thou art!
How good to those who seek!

I won't mention the ones I don't like to sing but there are a few of those too. I am grateful that my church puts such emphasis on music and that it is a regular part of our meetings. I am so glad that I get to teach wonderful songs to the Primary children each week. It is such a joy to hear them bear their testimonies through music.

Doctrine and Covenants 136: 28
If thou art merry, praise the Lord with singing, with music,
with dancing, and with a prayer of thanksgiving

6 comments:

Dana said...

I like "Be Still My Soul".

Danika said...

I think it sounds like an interesting concept for a sacrament meeting. If nothing else it was different! Though that would be hard to choose just one favorite...

SladeMomma said...

I like that post. I like all those hymns. I also really like "If You Could Hie to Kolob", probably because it is in miinor. I'd appreciate most any sacrament meeting dedicated to music.

Anonymous said...

I have had a hard time staying away the past few Sacrament meetings, I think that sounds at least different enough to keep me fully engaged. I love "How Firm a Foundation". We also sang it yesterday as the closing song and the best part was when all the primary age kids sang at the top of their lungs. My favorite verse is verse 7 and we never sing it. My all time favorite him is "I Know that my Redeemer Lives".

Anonymous said...

awake, I meant awake, not away...

Steph said...

Our ward did this a while back, except we sang as many as we had time for...people came up and told what song and why it was special for them. I had a hard time singing because I felt the spirit so strongly. Music does that for me. It was wonderful!