Well, I did it. My first triathlon was back on May 22. I should feel a great sense of accomplishment or something, right? I don't really. I have been trying to process through the experience the last two weeks.
On the morning of the triathlon, I woke up to rain and cold. I figured they would have to cancel or modify the event somehow. By the time I made it over to the event, the rain had slowed to a drizzle but it was still cold. They announced that they would be changing the event to a run bike run. My heart sank. The swim is really my only strength. I'm actually rather good at that portion and I had been excited about being able to start with some success before I got passed by everyone on the bike and run. Well, no such luck. Instead, I had to run twice.
I despise running! It hurts my shins a lot and I have yet to get past " the wall" where you don't want to quit with every stride. I always want to quit. To start off with a one-mile run was just not good for me mentally. I switched from thinking I was going to compete to thinking it was just something of a workout. Consequently, I was just never in focus mentally. I raced slower than I wanted, walked more than I should and finished feeling unsatisfied. My thought was, "If I am only competing against myself then I am not winning."
Who knows if getting to do the swim would have really made a difference. I can't be certain but I feel that it would have. Instead, I'm feeling like I didn't really complete a triathlon. I've been asked if I'll do it again and I am not sure. Part of me wants to so that I can have a better experience but part of me wants to be done and move on. I have a feeling life is going to get in the way of doing another one anytime soon. Maybe in two years.
I don't want to be a grump about the whole thing. I'll try to celebrate the small victories.
1. I did it. No matter what the outcome, I did at least finish.
2. I was able to run the whole last mile without walking. I even smiled when I ran by the photographer.
3. I felt lots of love and support from friends and family.
4. Best of all, I lost 20 pounds. I've got plenty more to lose but getting that first twenty off feels great.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
Congrats...on the 20 lbs. and the triathlon! I think it is a huge accomplishment and you should feel satisfaction. Great job!
Most of the ladies in my ward are hard-core runners. They keep wanting me to join them. I can't do it. Dancing wrecked my body. Even walking long distances gives me major shin splints.
Life is getting in the way?!?! Man that life...
Let's do a destination race...like a destination wedding...that way we'll look forward to it even more! I'm hittin' you up in two years...:)
What's the final decision on the reunion? Email me.
Lindsay, You did great, no matter what your mind is telling you. :) You did complete it, and compete, and that's huge! And CONGRATS on the negative 20! That's fantastic!! You rock! I miss running...I feel like a slug sometimes, but I have to do what I can do. Oh well! You GO!!
20 pounds? That's great! Way to go! You know, you not only completed a triathlon, but you completed a triathlon without the leg you are best at, and doubling the leg you hate. Now that's an accomplishment!
I am way impressed. Seriously. And congrats on the 20 lbs. Maybe you'll be my inspiration....
Your momma is way proud of your accomplishment, even if it were only one of those things, i.e. losing the weight, running a mile straight, finishing in any manner. ♥ ♥ ♥
Oh, Lindsay. I think I would have thrown in the towel if they told me I had to run instead of swim. I signed up for a triathlon, not a marathon, for heaven's sake! Seriously - you should be proud. 20 pounds is not too shabby, either.
Bummer about the rain! I would have been really disappointed too. All that training and anticipation...you were expecting a TRIathlon. I know that swimming is your bread and butter (that's actually the most challenging part for me). You can be proud of the fact that you accomplished something that was even beyond your goal (4 mile run instead of 3). And congrats on the 20 pounds; good work!
Post a Comment