Friday, January 23, 2009

in the eye of the beholder

I took the kids to the BYU Museum of Art last Friday. In our history group we recently talked about Japan during its "closed-door" period. We went to see the exhibit of wood block prints from that era.


I learned a lot about the art technique--color choices, use of lines and scale, and symmetry or rather non-symmetrical placement of the main object. I thought the prints were all beautiful especially considering how they are made.

As we walked out of this exhibit, the kids wandered over to the one next door. Quite a contrast. That exhibit was all modern art. Plastic patio chairs stacked up. Garbage sacks sculpturally overflowing from a garbage can. A room filled with white packing peanuts and three industrial fans that blew them all over the place. This is art? According to the press release:

"Steinhilber’s works are intended to encourage viewers to rethink their experiences
with and their expectations of these ubiquitous mass-produced consumer items. By
utilizing a visual language familiar to most of us, Steinhilber explores the beauty and the
natural qualities of the mundane in a way that compels us to become more aware.”

I wasn't aware that I couldn't take pictures so I snagged a few of Sawyer. Oops.

I did think this one was cool. I couldn't tell until I was really close that it is made entirely of duck sauce packets attached to a board.


Because the kids thankfully behaved themselves, we went over to the Cougareat afterward for ice cream. I'm glad we took the opportunity to go to the museum. My children might not have gotten anything out of it but I did.

3 comments:

SladeMomma said...

Well the kids are a might fine piece of work! I don't know about the duck sauce packets.

camillion said...

I LOVED Stienhilber's exhibit. GENIUS. I was befuddled by his lack of titling the pieces (all were untitled), but then I realized it allows the viewer a wider expanse into their interpretation. I loved it.
Alex wants to duplicate the peanuts in our house.

Anonymous said...

A good cultural experience. Way to go, Mom!