Friday, August 24, 2007

in search of routine

What I want my day to look like:
6:00 wake, exercise, shower, scriptures, check email
8:30 kids wake up, make bed, get dressed, tidy room, chores, breakfast, piano/violin practice
10-12 schoolwork
12 lunch
1 quiet time
2 free time
6 dinner prep, blitz the house
6:30 dinner
8 snack, PJs, brush teeth, read books, SSP (scriptures, song, prayer)
9 bedtime for kids
10:30 bedtime for me

I have had that schedule posted on the fridge for weeks now. We are slowly working our way into it but I need to get in gear and make better choices. Lately, I wake up whenever Sawyer wakes up. Today it was 7:00. I eat breakfast, read my scriptures though sadly its in a rather half-hearted way, check e-mail, waste time on the computer. The kids wake up anywhere between 7 and 9 most days. Sometime in the morning I manage to get a shower. The kids get dressed by 10 most days. We have been getting schoolwork done about every third day lately. We did do it today. Yay! Friends were over before lunch today since a few still aren't in school. They play. I seem to spend the rest of the afternoon finding something to eat for hungry kids, cleaning up messes, and wasting a lot more time on the computer. I am pretty good at getting dinner ready on time because of my menu planning. In the evening, we run errands, watch a movie, read books, waste more time on the computer. We have been doing great with getting the kids to bed on time. Then, its back to the computer usually until way too late.

I think I am addicted to the computer. I read my email. I blog. I read blogs. I search for things on Google. I check my bank statements. I edit pictures. I waste a lot of time. This is something I need to work on. I know I feel a lot better about myself and my day when I do other things. Lately, I just have felt a little lost as to what other thing I should be doing. I think the kids see far too much of my back while I'm sitting at the computer. Yes, this is definitely something I need to work on. I think the computer is awesome. Most of the things I do on the computer are good and worthwhile. I just need to limit my time. Focus my time. Then get off and do something else!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, the perfect schedule. Wouldn't that be great if it could work out every day? While I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony...

Anonymous said...

That is quite the schedule- I haven't even dared to write it out yet for us. It would just depress me right now. I am a firm believer in goals though- so keep on working at it.

I spend way too much time online some days too- it can be a time waster for me as well. I have to turn it off some days and feel liberated when I do :)

holly said...

I, too, am a conputer addict. Blogging is completely addictive. I'm doing it right now. I think I will get off and take a shower. Thanks for the boost I needed.