Friday, April 25, 2014

Easter and a priesthood ordination

Easter Sunday dawned bright and beautiful this year. We colored eggs this morning. Only 3 dozen this time. Not nearly enough to satisfy everyone but what am I going to do with 6 dozen hard boiled eggs?



I miraculously managed to find everyone Easter finery the day before and everyone cooperated willingly for some before church portraits.








The week before was Fast Sunday. The Primary president came over that morning and had encouraged Slade to share his testimony. He expressed to her that speaking in front of people was very hard for him. She asked him to pray about it. He insisted quite adamantly all morning that he was not going to share his testimony. No one was pressuring him but he let us know repeatedly that he wasn't going to go up there. However, in the middle of the testimony meeting, he stood up and went up on the stand, leaving us all in shock. He bore a really sweet testimony and was impressively calm as he spoke. The rest of us were in tears of joy and amazement. It is a wonderful thing to see your kids growing up!

Slade was ordained a deacon after our church meetings. When the bishop asked him if he would like to share his testimony, he declined stating that he'd already done that last week. He was ordained by Dave with the bishop, Grandpa Daniel, Uncle Tim and Uncle Michael in the circle. Funny side note: I had given Dave a blue checked dress shirt to wear. He looked really nice but had a very hard time doing an ordinance in a shirt that wasn't white. Dave's dad was in a bright, Hawaiian shirt too. Despite all that, I think the ordinance was still effective. Anyhow, I thought it was neat that Slade was ordained on Easter. I think he'll always remember that.

We had most of the Daniel family over for dinner and an Easter egg hunt. Yes, Ben is wearing a dress. And he was wearing a ballerina outfit that morning. We are hopeful he'll grow out of this phase soon enough.







Easter is always a wonderful holiday. I am so thankful for my testimony of the atonement and resurrection. He is what bring true joy and peace to our lives. In our sacrament program today, the choir sang This is the Christ, a favorite of mine. I love the words of the chorus. True words, indeed.

This is the Christ.
This is the Christ, the holy Son of God,
Our Savior, Lord, Redeemer of mankind.
This is the Christ, the Healer of our souls,
Who ransomed us with love divine.

1 comment:

SladeMomma said...

Great story about Slade bearing his testimony, although I had to get to the next paragraph to be sure who you were talking about.

As for little boys wearing dresses, I'm remembering Sawyer...