Sunday, June 10, 2012

i belong to the church of jesus christ




Saturday, June 2, Nathan was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Emma spoke about baptism and Slade spoke about the Holy Ghost. Slade did not want to give the talk. He hates being the center of attention. After much sweet talking and offering of bribes, he agreed to do it. He said we didn't have to give him anything because he was doing it for love. Here are their talks:

BAPTISM
Nathan, do you know that you are just about to participate in an incredible, super, wonderful, amazing and stupendous ordinance of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints? Do you know what it is?

Of course its baptism! Now do you know why it is an incredible, super, wonderful, amazing and stupendous ordinance? Well, let me tell you!

1. Remission of sins. Remission is a big word that means your sins are washed away. Remember that time when you turned on the hose at the Holmes’ house and then left it on when they were on vacation? Yeah that kind of sin. Baptism washes them all away and you will now be clean.

2. You are following the example of Jesus Christ. Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist in the River Jordan to show us what we should do. We don’t have John the Baptist or the River Jordan here today. But we have Dad who holds the same priesthood and a font so you can be baptized by immersion just like Jesus.

3. You are a making a covenant with Heavenly Father. You are promising Heavenly Father that you will keep His commandments and help other people. For example, you can be a good example to Sawyer, Anne and Ben and help them make good choices. And sometimes me and Slade could use a little help too.

4. You get to be an official member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Isn’t getting baptized so incredible, super, wonderful, amazing and stupendous? I am so glad that you made this choice.

HOLY GHOST
In Primary we sing about the Holy Ghost. Here are the words to one of the songs.

I feel the Holy Spirit as he teaches truth and right

Today when you are confirmed you will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost to help you know what is true and right.

He comforts me in times of need, he testifies of Christ.

Having the gift of the Holy Ghost can comfort you even more than being wrapped up in your favorite blanket.

He speaks to me in quiet ways that fill my soul with peace.

Usually the Holy Ghost doesn’t shout. It whispers in a very still, small voice and we have to listen carefully.
  
And when I listen with my heart, I hear the Savior's voice

The Holy Ghost gives us a peaceful feeling. 
I'm thankful for the Holy Ghost.

The cousins sang I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus with Emma playing a violin descant.Then, Nathan was baptized by his dad with Grandpa Daniel and Uncle Tim acting as witnesses. He was confirmed by his dad with Grandpa Daniel, Uncles Michael, Brett, Mark, Tim and cousin Lane in the circle.

In my testimony, I spoke about the opportunity I had that day to see the joy and blessings of living the Gospel. In the morning, I went to the temple with Lane and his family as he received his endowment in preparation for his mission. Then I got to sit through a beautiful baptismal service that had such a sweet Spirit. I watched Nathan confirmed a member of the church as he was surrounded by awesome men who are worthy priesthood holders. The Gospel really is awesome!

We came home to eat treats. I tried to make many of Nathan's favorites. We had Ham and Cheese Sliders, veggies, Bagel Bites, Rice Krispy treats, Lemon Cream Cheese and Oreo cupcakes and lots of candy. It was a feast. I had everything prepped on Friday night while Dave and the boys were at Father's and Sons. If I had remembered to program my oven to cook everything while we were at the church it would have been perfect. Next time!



After enjoying time visiting with family at our house, Dave and I went with my mom and the Vances to see Million Dollar Quartet in Salt Lake. We loved the show and thoroughly enjoyed eating half-priced appetizers at Applebees afterwards. It was a seriously awesome day.

4 comments:

Susie said...

What a happy day! The treat pictures (and description) made me salivate - you always know how to put on a party!

Denise said...

aww, congratulations! My youngest is being baptized this year, and I'm both excited for her and sad that my last child is passing this milestone.

Steph said...

Congratulations, Nathan! What a wonderful day! And the spread you put out...wow! I'm not showing ANYONE these pictures...my treats pale in comparison. Good job!!!

SladeMomma said...

Glad I got to be there and with you and yours doing special things for a few days. Wish it could happen more often.